Thursday, December 17, 2009

Winter's Here

This early morning, still dark, but light enough to make out remembered shapes, I thought I could make out the cold blue patterns of what could be snow. Not a covering snow, but what I imagined I saw was a wind-swept confectioners-sugar dusting, so sparse and fine it could never hope to make a defining hold in a breeze. It could though, settle in pavement-cracks and between driveway-pebbles. It could cling to the outlines of roof shingles and in the crags of tree-bark. And in these places, I strained to certify the shapes and patterns as snow. And, that it was... with the first pink half-hearted hues of morning pink, I could just make out for sure, our first snow of the season. Our first insignificant snowfall, if you could even call it that. Still it was snow, and if its going to be bitter cold, let it snow!

I planned to get a picture of it on my way to work, but as I left our street and headed onto 6A, I never saw it again. It must have been one of those very local, very fleeting, bursts of precipitation, and just for us... or maybe us and East of us. Now its just cold. Very cold. 20 degrees and blowing 30 kts.

No comments: