Friday, February 27, 2009

Running on the Beach

I went for a run this morning before work. There was a dark grey-pink sky when I left the house and as I got closer to the beach, and time ticked on into daylight, the grey gave way to an overall pinkish hue. I wasn't in a clearing and the the thick trees on both sides of the road blocked what might be happening on the horizon. Everything that was white, turned light pink. Pink houses, pink maple trees, my white long-sleeve t-shirt was now pink. Birds were chirping like it was spring and the air was still.
I reached the end of the road at the mouth of Paines Creek and crossed over the seawall onto the beach, and turned East for what is about a 3/4-mile leg over sand. The sky was filled with pinks and blues, but because the sun still rises in a more southerly arch, its morning magic was hidden by the hills, trees and houses to the south of the beach. It was dead low tide and the bright white lights of 3 boats glistened on the bay, way out beyond the low water mark.
It was beautiful out and I was exhilerated. I felt really good for the first part of the run, but right after I got off the sand and started the 2-mile leg back to the house, I started to feel like I was towing a wagon full of kids. It ws like an immediate switch. I didn't run too hard, and I didn't do anything out of the ordinary, but by the time I was done, I was worn out, and my legs had a pain I hadn't felt before. It wasn't that good work-out pain, but more like someone was peeling my skin away from my muscles mostly my thighs and calves. Well, it looks like we're in for 5 days of slush and snow, so I guess I'll stay out of my sneakers for a while. How the HELL does chase run for a hundred miles.... Chase??

3 comments:

Chase Squires said...

Mind over matter ... if you don't mind, the pain don't matter.

Seriously, how often do you run? Sounds like you put in a good 4-5 miles at least, if you're not running that regularly, that's a lot of miles. Be gentle to that old body, work up to it.

and here's the secret of us hunnert milers ... when you're tired, walk.

Sheesh. what's the rush? You'll get there.

... off to the hills for a long one tomorrow, supposed to be in the upper 60s, I love Colorado.

Sounds like you had a splendid day, quit telling folks, soon everyone will want to run!

Bruce Christopher said...

that's why I dont' talk much about fishing...

Chase Squires said...

snow pix, what's going on there? looks like a big storm!!