Thursday, July 24, 2008

Rainy Night

It's raining out. There is no wind and the crickets have come out singing, and will stay out, for the rest of the summer. It's one of those soft steady rains that would ruin any day, but at night from the cover of my farmer's porch, in total darkness, it's a treat.

The only light is from a window way up the street and from occasional firerflies that are negotiating the falling raindrops. I wonder what would happen if one got hit by a drop... I guess he would be knocked to the ground. I dont' think his butt-light would go out, and he'd probably survive the crash. I guess he'd have to go dry off somewhere. Apparently, according to Wikipedia, it's the males that do the flying and the females wait on the ground. He blinks... she blinks... he blinks... she blinks and eventually, they've found each other!

The rain started to come down harder and the wind picked up so now I'm back inside. I have more photos up on my flickr site. Go join. Flickr's a great site.

1 comment:

Chase Squires said...

Nice image, man. Hasn't rained her since March, seems like.

But just when you've almost got me sucked in, recalling those summer nights at my aunt's house in Scituate, catching firefiles just a few houses up from the beach ... I remember, summer for you will start to end in a couple weeks, by Labor Day, it's over, and the rainy winter sets in ... sigh.