Monday, November 10, 2008

The Last of the Oysters

About 30 people (including me) were out on the rockpiles yesterday, hoping to pluck what was left of the fall stocking of oysters. With three weeks of Sunday harvests behind us, I figured there wasn't much chance of getting another full limit, but I just wanted enough to serve for appetizers when our friends, the Kreegers came over. After 2 hours on the water, I had 22 oysters (which would be just enough).

I could have gone to the store and bought two dozen instead for FAR less than I feel like my time is worth, but I've become weirdly addicted to going out there, and at least I'm on the water. I also know how fresh the oysters are. In two weeks, the town should put out the remainder of the stocks for Thanksgiving. That's good because I won't be leaving the house this weekend.

(click photo to enlarge it and note Keith's stylin' phone -who needs an I-phone?!)

2 comments:

Chase Squires said...

Nothing like harvesting your own food!

Don't you wonder who was the first person to eat an oyster ... I picture two indians, one cracks open a shell, "Say, looks like snot! I guess I'll eat it!"

Bruce Christopher said...

Well... if yer hungry enough...