Sunday, November 2, 2008

Sunset 4:30pm.... Ugh..but again... OYSTERS!

And so it begins today that we crank our clocks back to get another hour of daylight in the morning. For me, I'd trade the morning hour for an extra hour in the evening any day, but who am I...

My day began on the Brewster Flats at 6:15am. 6:15 was sunrise and that's when, in Brewster, you are allowed to start shellfishing. "No shellfish shall be taken in Brewster between the hours of sunset and sunrise." Another rule is that... " NO shellfish shall be taken when the air temperature is less than 32 degrees." That almost put everyone off the water because it was 37 when I left the house. Low tide was at 7:30, so by the time I was in the water just after sunrise, the tide was well out and there were lots of oysters to be had at barbeque-tongue-grabbing depth. I barely got my sleeves wet! The usual crowd was a bit smaller today, in part I'm guessing because of the early tide and also partly because of the cold weather and northerly blow. DAMN it was cold out there.... and my right-hand wetsuit glove (which was really my left-hand glove turned over) was leaking, making it absolutely useless. I kept it on anyway. (My right-hand glove had floated away a year a go to the day and I never got another)

The rough conditions were well worth it. I got my 5 quarts quickly and spent the next half hour or so taking photos. It was a beautiful morning and the light was great. For dinner tonight, I had 14 raw oysters and some crackers. Since cranberries are in season right now too, I tried garnishing the plate with some. I ate a raw cranberry between oysters, kind of like you'd eat pickled ginger between bites of sashimi. I think it worked well. If I had a restaurant I'd serve it like this... but with a lemon of course, and some of Keith's fresh horseradish and mignonette but I didn't have any of that tonight. I like them plain anyway... fresh from the sea.

1 comment:

Keith said...

Looks good as usual!

I got your message but Evangelina got back from a night Off-Cape mid-afternoon and I was beat and had to get back into the studio.

This week sounds good....I'll give you a call tomorrow and we'll find a day.