Sunday, November 2, 2008

No Waders for This Water

Unlike my flats-forrays after oysters these days, I wouldn't need waders for tonights adventure. Tonight, Amy and I went to the Cape Cod Symphony's production, "Water Impressions." It was a great concert with some modern stuff along with a couple classics. These were my favorites:

Tan Dun - Concerto for Water Percussion
You may have heard the name "Tan Dun," He composed this year's Summer Olympics opening theme music. Tonights concerto was a very modern piece with special percussion instuments that used water to create the sounds and change the pitch of the notes once they were struck. There were 3 percussionists; one soloist in the center and two "backups" if that's what you call them, on either side of the stage. Each set of instruments had, at its center a large clear glass bowl filled with water that the instruments were worked in. Lights were shined on the bowls and up from under the bowls, creating moving patterns of light on the ceiling that reflected the water's movements as the players and their instruments interacted with the water. Pretty cool.

Bedrich Smetana - Moldau from Ma Vlast (My Country)
I don't know much classical music, but I recognize this tune. It was indeed a very "watery," piece. Jung-Ho Pak, the conductor, was outstanding and you could tell he got the orchestra charged up with his directing. I'd say this was the best piece in the show.

(I, along with the web development company I work for, built the symphony's new web site. My role was creating the "look and feel" of the site, and I worked extensively with Esther Owen (the marketing director) and Jung-Ho Pak to come up with the look they were hoping to achieve. Our tickets were compliments of the Symphony:

Thank you Esther and Jung-Ho - They were great seats and we thoroughly loved the show. )

3 comments:

Chase Squires said...

Cool, we went to see the Colorado Symphony last spring when the band Pink Martini played with them, they did that Aaron Copeland piece, the one I usually think of as the United Airlines song.

As for Boone, he actually was "retired" back in 1998, replaced by a more modern conceptualized mascot, "Ruckus the red-tailed hawk." ... Ruckus apparently never really caught on, and students tried to bring Boone back, but officials said there was opposition because some groups felt marginalized by a Pioneer that booted Indians out of the West ... Now, the official symbol of the university is just a big, curved "Denver" ... We're still the Pioneers, but like the University of Michigan, we don't have an mascot logo (Michigan just uses the big M)

Bruce Christopher said...

"Hoedown," I think it's called. He also did "Fanfare for the Common Man" which I really like.

Chase Squires said...

Or maybe it wasn't Copeland, come to think of it, it was rhaspsody in blue by that other guy