Monday, December 15, 2008

Christmas Decorating - "Oh Joy!"

Every year I hang a very simple line of fake evergreen swag adorned with tiny white lights. At each hook, there is a red bow. It usually looks pretty good and has just enough holiday tackiness to save me from looking like I was really trying to make it look good. This year, just after I got home from the dump, I couldn't find my bag of "ready to go" decoration. I looked all over and even found a bag marked "Outside Lights." This bag, I'm now realizing must have been marked from a previous year and stuffed with something else. At any rate, the swag is gone. I'm all but certain that it went into the bottom of the transfer truck's bin. 40 feet of lights, swag and bows, not to mention all the sanity that slipped away with it while I was searching for it...

So, this year there will be no swag. Oh well. I put up the remaining lights around the edge of the new porch and put two more strands on the bushes outside the front door. I even hung the REAL clippings from the bottom of our Christmas tree under the garage lights, but Amy told me I should take them down. "Don't overdo it" she said. And one look around at my make-shift second-"string" plan with it's sparse glow and wires all over the place and I knew she was right.

1 comment:

Chase Squires said...

come on by our place, we've got buckets and buckets of lights from when I used to really do up the homestead Griswold style ... now, all we have is a balcony. A very well lit balcony!