Tuesday, October 21, 2008

If it seems like it's too good to be true...

Last Sunday when I was pre-occupied with scrounging up oysters at the adult Easter egg hunt, I let a wave wash up over my chest wader pocket. No big deal, it happens all the time, except this time, I had my cell phone in that pocket. Now usually, I leave the phone in my bucket of stuff on the beach, but Amy wanted me to call her if I was going to be late. Industrious person that I am, I figured that I'd call from the water giving me a few extra minutes if I was indeed going to be late. Well, I WAS late, and when I pulled my phone out of my waders, it was wet. Not just wet... soaked. It's been wet before, so when I got home, I rinsed it out with fresh water and let it dry. eventually, to my glee, it came back on. Then it shut right off again. On Monday, it came on again, but I couldn't do anything with it. It was spent, but could I get my contacts off it???

Our 2-year contract with Verizon was up, so I went in to get new phones and we ended up getting two brand new phones for $20. The guy said they were $280 dollar phones! They're nice, shiny new gadgets with camera, video, blue tooth, all kinds of interactivity etc. etc. etc. Wow, cool, huh! I signed on for another two years. Of course I won't use all that stuff, but I see how they getcha: After reading a few pages in the 150-page half of the manual (the other 150 pages were upside down and in spanish, starting from the back, or the spanish front I guess) I kept finding at the end of every paragraph, "additional usage fees and/service agreement may apply." Ahh of course! Entice you with the gadgets, get you hooked and you will pay for your addictions. The old baby mouse in the beer bottle... well kinda. (oh yeah, and no... they couldn't get all my contacts off the old phone)

1 comment:

Chase Squires said...

Bummer, man ... Well, it's still cool to have a new phone, new ringer, and usually there are least a few free games on the new phone