Saturday, October 11, 2008

Manatee on Cape Cod?!? Really!

(Click images for a larger view)

Have you heard the latest bigfoot story? Well it's not a bigfoot it's a big Flipper. Someone saw a Manatee in Cape Cod Bay early last week and for about a week it was this myth, and then slowly it became validated as more sightings came in, and then photos started to surface of the creature. But now, we have a special treat because he/she IS real and has decided to settle in to a mid cape estruary, Sesuit Creek. The poor thing looks so old and tired and according to experts she has only one eye. She also has a wound to one of her flippers (I call her "she" because it seems fitting... you know... a sea cow... an ancient mariner's mermaid - good lord how did they mistake one of these for one of those...long LONG days at sea I guess.) View my Cape Cod Manatee Photos on Flickr.



Today, on my way to work, I stopped by the harbor hoping to get a glimpse of her, and was so lucky to have gotten this chance. I'll have some photos posted on Flickr shortly of the encounter.


I guess they're going to try to move her to Florida where she won't have to deal with the season's end cold water. According to the paper, moving a Manatee is no easy task and is very risky for the Manatee. I hope she makes it and I hope it's not the wrong thing to do. Something tells me she wants to be here and maybe she's even been here before. Maybe she WANTS this as her final resting place... who knows... just not sure how much we should muddle with nature in this case. She seems so happy here.

1 comment:

Chase Squires said...

Wow, very cool, and you have a very Zen approach to nature, well said ...